In my small pancake tortoise pet keeping endeavor, there came an unexpected twist when a supposed female turned out to be male. Much to my delight, last Thursday I discovered the very first egg. Immediately, I initiated the incubation process, fine-tuning the temperature for a potential female to hatch, using a Lucky Reptile incubator for this purpose. However, I stumbled upon a mistake: I had moistened the vermiculite substrate. I had made a mistake in my research. In haste, I replaced it with dry vermiculite, and now I'm filled with hope that my quick fix has preserved the egg, looking forward to witnessing the hatching.